After a couple of sessions on the trap range where I haven’t been able to hit even 10 out of 25 clay pigeons, a couple of trap shooters and I did some measurements and sure enough, the stocks were too short. The difference between now and last year is that I dropped a few pounds, nothing real significant but enough that the guns no longer fit well.
Recoil pads weren’t enough to make up the difference and I couldn’t find any gun stock extensions that would work for me, so I made my own.
These extensions are only temporary, and after hunting season ends I’ll buy some wood and make new gun stocks. In the meantime, I bought a block of wood at the hardware store and used the butt plates as templates.
I used hand tools and a clamping device I had designed for carving suiseki bases; the clamp works well but needs improvements.
After roughing out the shapes with a crosscut saw, I trimmed the edges with a coping saw, then shaped it with a rasp.
At that point I attached it to my gun stock for fit, did a little more shaping, and then sanded it with an electric sander.
Once I was satisfied with that, I stained it and finally applied several coats of clear lacquer to protect the wood. The gun now fits perfectly, but the proof test will come from bird hunting.